Explore the wine making process from grape to glass.
An informative and leisurely stroll from our cellar door to the winery for a behind-the-scenes look at wine production. Learn a little more about how a vineyard and winery works, how the grapes develop throughout the season, samples unfinished wines, discover more about the wine making process and round off the tour with a cellar door tasting of a selection of our wines.
- Available by appointment only
- Bookings must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance
- Tours depart cellar door at 11am sharp
- Please wear sturdy, enclosed shoes and a jacket as you will be spending time outside and entering a working winery
- For health and safety reasons, winery access is restricted to people 18 years and over
- The tour includes a 300m walk between our cellar door and the winery, and there are stairs in the winery
- Please allow 1 hour
Terms and conditions apply. Bookings must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance. Tours depart from the cellar door at 11am sharp. Sturdy shoes and a jacket are highly advised. Only those over the age 18 are permitted on this tour. For further details, contact Josef Chromy Tasmania.
Josef Chromy Tasmania
About Josef Chromy Tasmania
Josef Chromy Wines has a state-of-the-art winery at the base of the vineyard at Relbia, just south of Launceston. The modern and minimalist exterior provides a home for some of the best winemaking equipment available. Fruit reception begins with a vibrating hopper that gently shakes the grapes into the destemmer. The grapes are pumped gently into the press through a peristaltic pump, using the same technology that transfers live fish or pumps blood during heart bypass surgery.
A high-tech German press enables juice extraction at low pressures, giving more delicate aromatic juices. All Pinot Noir is fermented in small batch open top fermenters and a pneumatic plunging device, co-developed by Josef, is used to gently plunge the cap and manage the extraction of colour and tannin during the fermentation. All the equipment and processes in the winery are designed to respect the delicate varietal flavours of the high quality, cool-climate Tasmanian fruit.
Want to see for yourself? Join the Go Behind The Label experience to visit the winery, including sampling wines straight from the barrel. Bookings essential.
Josef Chromy Wines is committed to producing grapes of the highest quality. Cool climate viticulture provides many challenges, however with management practices tailored to our site, we are able to consistently produce fruit of exceptional quality.
With 61 ha under vine, we produce Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc.
- Latitude 41 degrees 27 minutes South
- Altitude 81 - 170 m
- Annual rainfall 679 mm
- Harvest March - late May
- Mean January temperature 16.7 degrees C
- Humidity October - April 51%
- Soil type - black, alkaline, cracking clay soils and shallow, stony, neutral, brown soils over an ancient dolerite base
- Climate - Moderate maritime, free from extremes
Josef Chromy Tasmania Relbia
Address: 370 Relbia Rd, Relbia, TAS 7258