Go Behind The Label and explore the wine making process from grape to glass!
An informative yet informal opportunity to learn a little more about how a vineyard works and how the grapes develop throughout the season. Hear Joe's story, tour a working winery, and sample wines in their unfinished state before heading back to the cellar door for a wine tasting and a two course lunch of fine Tasmanian produce matched with wine in the hatted Josef Chromy Wines Restaurant.
- Available 7 days by appointment
- Bookings must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance
- Tour commences at 11am sharp, departing from cellar door
- Please allow 2.5 hours for the experience
- Please wear sturdy, enclosed shoes and bring a jacket as you will be outside and entering a working winery
- For health and safety reasons, winery access is restricted to people 18 years and over
- There is a 300m walk between the cellar door and winery, and there are stairs to be navigated in the winery
Terms and conditions apply. Bookings must be made a minimum of 48 hours in advance. Tours depart from the cellar door at 11am sharp. Sturdy shoes and a jacket are highly advised. Only those over the age 18 are permitted on this tour. For further details, contact Josef Chromy Tasmania.
Josef Chromy Tasmania
About Josef Chromy Tasmania
Josef Chromy Wines has a state-of-the-art winery at the base of the vineyard at Relbia, just south of Launceston. The modern and minimalist exterior provides a home for some of the best winemaking equipment available. Fruit reception begins with a vibrating hopper that gently shakes the grapes into the destemmer. The grapes are pumped gently into the press through a peristaltic pump, using the same technology that transfers live fish or pumps blood during heart bypass surgery.
A high-tech German press enables juice extraction at low pressures, giving more delicate aromatic juices. All Pinot Noir is fermented in small batch open top fermenters and a pneumatic plunging device, co-developed by Josef, is used to gently plunge the cap and manage the extraction of colour and tannin during the fermentation. All the equipment and processes in the winery are designed to respect the delicate varietal flavours of the high quality, cool-climate Tasmanian fruit.
Want to see for yourself? Join the Go Behind The Label experience to visit the winery, including sampling wines straight from the barrel. Bookings essential.
Josef Chromy Wines is committed to producing grapes of the highest quality. Cool climate viticulture provides many challenges, however with management practices tailored to our site, we are able to consistently produce fruit of exceptional quality.
With 61 ha under vine, we produce Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc.
- Latitude 41 degrees 27 minutes South
- Altitude 81 - 170 m
- Annual rainfall 679 mm
- Harvest March - late May
- Mean January temperature 16.7 degrees C
- Humidity October - April 51%
- Soil type - black, alkaline, cracking clay soils and shallow, stony, neutral, brown soils over an ancient dolerite base
- Climate - Moderate maritime, free from extremes
Josef Chromy Tasmania Relbia
Address: 370 Relbia Rd, Relbia, TAS 7258